Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Day 1: The King Arrives

Monday, September 22. The day of my depature from Connecticut came too soon. And it came just in time. Big Momma herself had volunteered to drop me off for my morning flight out of Bradley, so we both had the distinct pleasure of waking around 4am.

Perhaps it was a last minute case of nerves. Perhaps it was the suspiciously scented milk I enjoyed with my breakfast miniwheats. Either way I was gassy on the ride to the airport. I was also having second thoughts about this entire endeavor.

Luckily Big momma dropped me off at the terminal with little ceremony, and my two duffel bags and I were ushered through security quickly and efficiently. Before my sleep starved brain knew it, I was in the plane and we were aloft. Once committed to action I immediately began feeling better. I very rarely second guess myself. It also helped that in an extremely crowded plane, I got an exit seat (more leg room) with no one beside me. I imagine that is what first class fliers feel like all the time, and I envy them.

The first leg of the trip from Bradley to Chicago went smoothly. I slept mostly, and read a nerd novel. In Chicago, I was further pleased to note that my departure gate was the very same gate that I had arrived through so while United was switching the planes over, I made peepee and ate a snack.

Plane flight number two was much the same. It is of notable mention that 93.7 percent of my fellow passengers were AARP card carrying senior citizens. With so many wheezing, loud talking, liver spotted, ear haired geriatrics I got little sleep on this flight. Evidently those ancients not drawn to Florida go to Portland Oregon to die. I was glad for my nerd novel.

From Portland Airport, it was a swift jump in a small plane to Redmond Airport. I was now in central Oregon. At the baggage claim yours truly's were the first bags on the belt. This pleased me.

As soon as I stepped outside to wait for my ride, I fell in love with Oregon all over again. Feeling the gentle sun, and the dusty piney fresh scent I have only ever experienced in the high desert, while being treated to a spectacular view of snow capped mountains whos jagged peaks were doing unmentionable things to a few fleecy puffy clouds undersides, all of my worries and stresses lifted.

I was home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But... but... my couch is your home!

Anonymous said...

cant beleive youre actually in Oregon!!!!! i miss youuuuu <33